Oh wow it has been a long time.
It was not an intentional hiatus but I did get a bad case of the ‘Olympic Fever’ mentioned in my last post and was sick for a week and took another to recover, couple that with the six children to entertain I couldn’t find the time to say Happy 50th Independence Day Jamaica or celebrate it in the way that we wanted to. We still had a great time.
From June it has been my plan to post about the Hurricane season (June -November)... especially with the number of power outages that my neighbourhood had been experiencing it made me think of how to entertain children and saying thank goodness that this wasn’t a hurricane!
This weekend we are on Tropical Storm Watch- while watching the path of the Hurricane called Isaac as it makes it’s way over to our side and more specifically over to Haiti. Saying a prayer that they will be safe and be spared the wrath of the storm.
Hoping that the stormy weather is kind to us here in Jamaica as well.
We put up our storm shutters just in case and yes got lots of help and directions on how to do it:
stocked up on batteries, candles, garbage bags and bleach.
And unbeknownst to them I stocked up on glow bracelets and balloons and new books just in case we are without lights.
Remember along with the essentials
batteries, lanterns, candles, alternative light source, matches, bag packed with clothes and spare blanket and pillows (just in case you need to evacuate), canned food, bottled water, stored water, bleach, garbage bags, can opener and paper plates.
you should also stock up on these items and ideas:
- psps or electronic toy going
- activity books
- drawing books
- lots and lots of crayons, pencils and glue ( notice no paint because in the event of water shut outs then you would want to waste water on overly messy hands.)
- board games are a must
- a puzzle or three
- and what usually works for me and my ones a loan of the camera to take pics of some toes
- and if it is possible a battery operated dvd player with the favourite movies, shows on them
- or download some before hand and save them to your laptop… please ensure that the battery is completely charged
- a healthy imagination for tent games, story telling and more
- and picnic indoors instead of out.
But most importantly be safe and keep dry!
Have a KidFriendly weekend!